Thursday, January 10, 2008

"Soppin' with a biscuit til the yella's gone..."


So this is my first blog. I have never done this before, and I never imagined that I would be "blogging." This blog is related to food so I decided to focus around my favorite type of food... southern. Living in Virginia I have enjoyed foods that are foreign to Utah. I hate having to explain what's a hushpuppy. And yes, you do dip it in butter. NO, it isn't good for you, but it's not supposed to be. Yes , I do enjoy sweet tea. Not that nasty unsweetened nonsense here... and before I offend my English 150 neighbors, it's herbal sweet tea. I still stand in a chalk circle, no worries. I hate that Popeye's is associated with a cartoon, and not the best fast food fried chicken. Crawfish, Catfish and my personal favorite okra. Fried okra is something I could eat everyday. I remember as a child going with my Gramma Jean to Pofolk's, and eating a catfish dinner with a double helping of fried okra. I would wrap up the skeleton from the fish and use it's ribs as a comb for the next couple of days. I would love to be back home in Sadie's trailer eating her collard greens, and topping it all off with her pecan pie. That is livin'.

3 comments:

head chef said...

Wow Gabriel, you make we hungry for Southern Cooking. I have to agree that hushpuppies and fried okra are out of this world. I can see that I'm going to look forward to your posts.

Shannon said...

I would have never imagined that ribs of a fish could be used as a comb. But I do reward your childhood ingenuity.

Alina said...

I would have to agree that I too love southern food. Although I’m not from the south my mom is so we vacation all of the time down in Louisiana and Arkansas. One thing that I’ve tried while in the south is fried pickles. I know fried pickles might not sound very good but they really are very delicious!