Sunday, January 13, 2008

Rare.... Rare as you can cook it.

-"Just eat the chicken!"
-"NO! I don't want to!"
-"A growing child your age needs to eat meat. You can't leave this kitchen 'til you eat it!"
That was some 8 years ago. I have always had quite the liberal streak in me. Add that to a hard headed personality, and you'll find a difficult child. I have never had an enjoyment for meat. I'm not a ferret freeing fanatic like PETA, I just prefer to not eat meat. Especially steak. I just can't detach from the idea of what it is. That brings us to tonight. January 12... My brother has reached his 25th birthday and Texas steakhouse is the restaurant of choice. 3 hours later, we are seated by a woman name J' nae. I ignored the menu as options for dinner were openly discussed. My nephew is much more entertaining to me than a 'bloomin' onion.' We each take turns announcing our decision for dinner that night, and my brother decides on the steak/rib combo. Upon question how he'd like his meat cooked, he replies, "Rare... Rare as you can cook it." Fast forward 20 minutes. Knife in one hand, flesh on a plate he begins to cut. Cutting undercooked meat is a lot like slapping a tub full of jello. The blow isn't penetrating. He endures, and takes a victory moment by showing me the prize, a limp red morsel. Amazing how it's repulsive to one, and celestial to another. I sit happy with a salad and sweet potato. ( no toasted marshmallows ) This isn't a 'Cow's are friends' campaign blog. I just find it interesting that he is willing to wait 3 hours for the very product that churns my stomach like cud. Besides the dinner made him happy and that ultimately was the goal. And who doesn't love to hear a chorus of Utahn's screaming, "YEEEEEEHAWWWWS" bringing in a bowl of birthday ice cream?

5 comments:

Keith McKay said...

I'll never eat at a steakhouse again. You've awoken me out of my "I'm an American: thus, I eat raw meat" trance.


Thank you.

Brittany Perez said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Brittany Perez said...

I remeber being at a mall food court and a small child next to me was screaming, "I don't want chicken!" That image popped into my head when I read your post.

Lizi Dorff said...

That's very interesting/disgusting. I like my meat well done...no pink spots at all. I've never met anyone who likes rare, rare meat. I'm dumbfounded.

gibonator said...

Like your nephew I too love steak! It's difficult for me to comprehend why people are unable to enjoy a great juicy steak. There are missing out on some great food. I guess they just leave more meat for us meat lovers.