Monday, January 21, 2008

Like endless rain into a paper cup...

I had the opportunity to go see Across the Universe on Saturday. I loved the move more than I could capture here with a blog. It was so full of imagery and symbolism. It was definitely an "artsy" movie, but that is why I loved it. The experience over all was awful. This may seem like a strange blog for a food topic, but i feel it compares to being in a restaurant. The mood and the audience or other customers can make or break your experience. The theater was packed full of teenagers that decided they needed to talk constantly through the movie. My chair leaned back a bit more than the others, so I was right in an earshot. I also was granted the opportunity to have my chair bounced like a bronco by a tall boys knees. The movie begins and the first comment was, "Is this a musical? Great! (sarcastic)" How do you come to see a movie based around The Beatles' music and think they won't sing??? Just a question. The movie apparently was a bit too deep for those around me as well. Strawberry fields forever was by far my favorite. The strawberries were dropped like bombs on Vietnam, while the red juice and pulp captured the gore. It wasn't a Gladiator gore, it was a Salavdor Dali meets Monet. People walked out during the movie pretty consistently. I understand that not every one has the same taste in movies, or food. I'm okay with agreeing to disagree. There was a part where Jude (the main character) was drawing a picture of his girlfriend Lucy while she was sleeping. The sheet had fallen off her topless body, and she was clothed in a darkness of shadows. That was the limit for most movie goers. Her body in art, nude art albeit, was too much. I thought about, what drives a person to reach that point with morals where they are willing to leave? The movie had displayed drinking, profanity, and drug use prior to this scene. Is there a limit to how much we'll tolerate? Is there a sin scale? Or is it a desensitized thing. I don't write these comments with a judging heart. I watched the movie, and I accept that. I just left a bit confused with when does one decide, "Marijuana... okay. Alcohol, sure... but nude art? I'm done." I guess that's my blog question. How can we ( a Mormon community) sit through drugs, alcohol and profanity and say, "Let it be." But nude art turns an audience, helter skelter? Either way, I suggest the movie. I would suggest seeing it with people who have an open mind and who can appreciate a movie for something more than it's face value.

3 comments:

El Termo said...

"Across the Universe" sounds like a really interesting movie. I need to check it out. The Beatles have always had a way of evoking many different emotions from their listeners and have inspired several generations of musicians.

Alina said...

I like how you said that if you're going to watch this movie you need to do so with an open mind. It's the same way with food. Try new things with an open mind. I must admit that I have a really hard time trying new things, especially when I'm in love with a particular dish at a certain restaurant but like you said, we should try every new experience with an open mind and try to see things in other peoples' perspectives.

Shannon said...

Coming from oregon, i don't think i have ever been in a movie where people have walked out. I might have to go see this movie for the experience. I do think that it is a desensitization of the masses that drugs alcohol and gore are okay but nudity isn't. If we were in england it would different. Buti also think that the nude body is a very personal thing, that we've learned shouldn't be shared, thats why people stop there.