Thursday, April 10, 2008

Endure... No Enjoy til the End.

I hiked rock canyon park for the first time today. It was an interesting experience. Being from the east jagged sharp granite (I'm assuming) is a new experience. My Appalachians are rolling blue green beauties. I went alone and just enjoyed the experience. I thought of how these mountains have been there for years. What stories did they have to tell? Squaw peak has seen plenty of virtue lost, but it has also seen the early saints arrive, settle and find a home. I saw deer foraging on a steep slope. I realized how life finds a way to survive. The circumstances may be a cold, windy, rock covered mountain... and yet grass sprouts forth. I postponed a lot of homework and responsibilities for this climb, and I don't regret it. I think I have commented on this before, but Frost's "Nothing Gold Can Stay" passed my mind looking down as the sunset splashed its last rays on Utah lake. I thought of Stargirl and Spinelli. Remembering where we came from, not just living on it. Lots of random thoughts just kinda spilling out... I guess this semester can be summarized by a quote from Gordon B Hinckely, "Life is meant to be enjoyed. Not just endured."

No comments: